Saturday, December 20, 2008

Relocating and Walking in Korat

366Bh was way too much for accommodation, although I was getting a good deal and it was a lovely room, I must save money and get something for less! So I woke up at 07:00 this morning and started strolling for accommodation, I found 3 cheaper options, all pretty much just for Thai's, no 'farang' (travelers) were to be found at these places!
  1. The first one at 180Bh had rats everywhere outside, obviously a no go!
  2. The second one at 150Bh had no power sockets for my MP3 and the halls smelt like urine. Possibilty of staying here was 50/50.
  3. Result!!! 150Bh for a double bed, fan, en-suite with flushing toilet and cold shower. "I'll take it!"
After returning back to the previous hotel, I slept in last night, I checked out, grabbed my stuff and trekked back to option 3, once again in a no-go tourist area. But it was great! I unpacked, planning to stay a night or two, cleaned some clothes and set out around Korat to visit some Wats (temples) and see what was on offer.
The first thing I went to was about 10mins down the road and I had walked past it three times already and was curious as to what it was, it was the 'Thao Suranari Memorial' and the old Chumphon Gate, the only gate still standing in Korat, the other three are just re-builds/fakes.
After that I walked around some more visited one Wat and got some food (rice + chicken) from a local vendor. It sounds rude, but I'm starting to think....'Why fall for one of these freelancers? when a Thai vendor would be so much better!'.
I then returned to my hotel, read for a bit, had a wash and then ventured out to the famous Korat Night Market and wondered around for a couple hours.

No comments: