Thursday, December 4, 2008

My First Flight In Thailand

Morning launch was at 6am today and I was still a bit short of local knowledge and very hesitant with riding my bike in the dark so decided to avoid the journey and sleep today. That was until 8am when I starting hearing knocks on my door. It was Jimmy Two Toe, the resorts tour guide. He had just found 2 viper snakes which he was keen to show me! So I put my Sunday best on and came outside to have a look.
The nutter had them in a box and was playing with them! He had just retrieved them from his friends house and had brought them to my backpacking lodge. The snakes were beautiful, he taught me that the triangular heads showed that a snake is poisonous and gave me a brief explanation/lesson on snakes. Jimmy and I get on extremely well especially because I'm the only real tourist (in Thai.... 'Farang') at the lodge we also share the same passion, music.
After playing with the snake I took to exploring again, travelling along the National Park taking in the scenery, to be honest it is great having the bike. For the first time I feel 'free' to go where I want, when I want, without asking anyone.
After exploring I set out for the afternoon launch, meeting John from Somerset at the launch field he asked whether I could help him with the retrieve. Which I eagerly agreed to. He then, just before takeoff offered me the task of piloting the balloon, his wife Sue had mentioned it and sacrificed her flight to me. Which I was extremely grateful for.
The flight lasted an hour and was amazing, the great thing with flying abroad is the lack of S.A's and resentment to balloons which you get in the UK. Out here you can fly as low as you like over animals and everyone just waves and chases after you wanting to watch. A majority of people out here have never seen a balloon so they love it when they get the chance to.
Upon landing we had the whole village come out and greet John and myself which was overwhelming. From the young to the old, they were all there to speak to us and smile, another benefit of flying out here is that the retrieve crew (local Thai's) object to us helping pack up the balloon after the flight, leaving us to deal with public relations and speak to the locals. After finishing the pulbic show we went for a drink and returned to the festival where I got on my scooter and returned to my lodge.Upon returning back I met two Dutsch girls which I played cards with, a game called 'Shithead', and had drinks with untill the early hours.

No comments: