Wednesday, December 3, 2008

My First Scooter

So after a lazy first day in Khao Yai I needed to now get a bit more active and with the Balloon Festival coming soon I had to sort out transport, taxi's to and from the Fiesta would cost me around 500Bh a day which I simply couldn't do, so I went on the search for a scooter.
I eventually found one in Pak Chong for 300Bh a day I booked it till Monday. Although it was more pricey to rent here, compared to Chang Mai + Koh Panghan, I had to do it. So i did and it gave me instant freedom.
After a 1hr ride I found a lovely Thai Vineyard and naturally curiosity got the better of me and I explored. So after a taste of their white wines I had a sit down in their premises and got talking to a Thai Business man who gave me loads of tips/recommendations for travelling Laos, which was incredibly useful. He had taken his family there recently so had the pics on him which he went through with me whilst buying food/snacks for us to eat, which naturally I ate.
Now, time becoming an issue, I had to leave. Launch time at the festival was 4-5pm and I wanted to be there, so after excusing myself I got back on my scooter with my map of NE Thailand and set out the search for the fiesta, a task harder than I originally thought! After failing to find it, I started seeing them in the ear, initializing my retrieve skills I trekked them down to the launch field, slightly to late to see any take off so instead I played the waiting game to see them return. Which they did by 6pm onwards. I then proceeded to linger around the pilots and introduce myself to them, trying to strike up conversation with the only pilot I knew Dave Seagar-Thomas. I was then introduced to John from Somerset, a friend of my dad's who knew him well so naturally with in 30mins I knew them all by first name and all was going well. I arranged to meet them the next day and help out with retrieves e.t.c.

No comments: