Friday, November 28, 2008

Talking to a Monk

After a late night yesterday and a day of travelling I felt knackered this morning, so decided to have a lie in .
Consequently I woke up at 11am and went downstairs to speak to the tour operator (June) and find prices/oppertunities available to myself in the Chang Mai area .
After that I proceeded to have a wonder around the town and familarise myself with it, Chang Mai it’s self if nice and peaceful, lots of temples scarttered about, vendors everywhere and a cheap bus service (it costs 30p to go anywhere in the town on a taxi/bus) .
After wondering around 3 of the temples I found an ancient one from 680yrs ago. Way before Chang Mai was part of Thailand. Here I met, and had an in depth conversation with a Monk from Chang Rai. Which must have been one of the most fasinating things, he explained to me his beliefs, opinions and thoughts on the world (politics e.t.c) .
He had been a monk for 10 yrs, since he was 12, he left home one day and has yet to return. He explained to me how he choose to be one to study and learn more/further himself, he also explained how Monks on the whole distance theirselves from thinking to much ref: the rest of the world. He understands what is happening but works on the principle of Karma, he also beleives in how people should co inhabit the world with nature, this is what’s called Demacracy.
As for now, it’s 6pm so still nice and early, so I’ve decided to go to the night market and see if there’s anything that takes my fancy.

No comments: