Friday, November 28, 2008

British German Relations

After a great day of talking to monks and visiting temples I decided to have a wonder round the town tonight with my new book to read. My intention being, wonder a bit, then have a drink and read. Sadly though I think Western Culture has affected Chang Mai even, the bars/pubs/clubs are all identical bringing much disappointment to myself. I even at one point found myself walking down some seedy red light district area. This meant I needed a plan B.
The guest house where I'm staying is incredibly friendly, reasonably prices and comfortable so I decided to return back there to read my book and enjoy a quiet drink. Here's where I met a fantastic German by the name of Stephan.
Stephan has 5 weeks in Thailand and is on his way tomorrow to go up to Chang Rai and Pai, villages further north of Chang Mai, close to the border to Laous.
We had both had the same problem that evening of just wanting to have a quiet drink and see what the locals/night life was like, but worth both thoroughly disappointed. After a couple drinks at the guest house we then went on to do some food tasting by getting some beers from the '7-11' and going along the vendors stalls and getting a little to eat at each one. Which was fantastic fun! We ended up staying out till 4 that night and although we both incredibly full it was a great night tasting all the different selections of food as well as talking to a like-minded traveller who was also in search of remote quiet parts of Thailand.
Stephan has a blog which you can read at http://travelling-stefan.blogspot.com/ he even speaks about me in it (i blush). haha

Stefan's Blog

No comments: